Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

dim bulb testers what wattage bulbs to have on hand

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
radiorich

PostSubject: dim bulb testers what wattage bulbs to have on hand   Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:05 am

Hello everyone,
I know this is a simple question what wattage of light bulbs should I keep on hand.

To use with my dim bulb tester.

Since they are stopped making good old ge bulbs in the usa I'm buying cases of Geusa made bulbs to have for future use so far I have like 300 -400 bulbs.

Rich
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nick666

PostSubject: Re: dim bulb testers what wattage bulbs to have on hand   Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:15 am

I always like to have 60,100,150,200 and 300 watt bulbs on hand.

Nick
Back to top Go down
View user profile
radiorich

PostSubject: Re: dim bulb testers what wattage bulbs to have on hand   Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:25 am

Hello Nick,
ok I'll going to order them friday while they still have some on hand.

Rich
Back to top Go down
View user profile
radiotechnician

PostSubject: Re: dim bulb testers what wattage bulbs to have on hand   Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:42 am

Just an old story , might be a lie, but it sounds too good. During the war, researchers needed quantities of lightbulbs foe development tests. Rationing made them very hard to procure. They changed the description : 100 pcs Resistor, lumimous, 100 Watt, 120 volt Mazda type.

If caught with incandescent lamps after the cutoff date, can on expect a light sentance?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TexMac

PostSubject: Re: dim bulb testers what wattage bulbs to have on hand   Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:14 am

Rich,
I've been picking up some of the higher (100 -200W) wattages to use in my well houses in the winter to prevent freezing. They are sufficient for the winters down here, but are also essential. That aside, you need some 40W clear bulbs for your dim bulb tester. They make good current limiters the first time you fire up a rebuilt AA5 or those little AC/DC Battery portables you like.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eric h

PostSubject: Re: dim bulb testers what wattage bulbs to have on hand   Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:00 am

My dim bulb tester I use for TV repair has four sockets in parallel, I use four 100w bulbs, I just start with one and go up one more if everything looks OK.
For small radios you could just use smaller bulbs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chris108

PostSubject: Re: dim bulb testers what wattage bulbs to have on hand   Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:10 am

If you are going to go to the trouble of ordering light bulbs for a dim bulb tester, try to get the "rough service" types if possible. They do cost a little more, but they hold up to constant handling a lot better than ordinary household bulbs.

I think you'll always be able to buy incandescent bulbs, but in the future they will be "specialty" types, like halogens, floodlights, and decorative bulbs, any of which could still be used for a dim bulb tester.

The beauty of an incandescent bulb in a dim bulb tester is that its nonlinear resistance makes it a good current limiter. This is hard to replicate, though it could probably be done with the right kinds of varistors. The size of the bulb determines the maximum current that will flow in a circuit. 40-W to 60-W is fine for "three way" portables; 60-W to 100-W for regular AC/DC radios; 100-W to 200-W for medium-sized table radios and consoles; and 200-W to 400-W for TV sets. I usually keep an old-fashioned 15-amp plug fuse in one of the sockets of my "dim bulb" tester (which consists of four sockets in parallel). The fuse shorts the bulbs out when full voltage is wanted at the load.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Steve Johnson

PostSubject: Re: dim bulb testers what wattage bulbs to have on hand   Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:51 am

I use a set of clear bulbs. Easy to see any change in the filaments glow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.stevenjohnson.com
pred

PostSubject: Re: dim bulb testers what wattage bulbs to have on hand   Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:53 am

Steve Johnson wrote:
I use a set of clear bulbs. Easy to see any change in the filaments glow.

Yes clear bulbs, I use a 60 and a 100 only.
Peter
Back to top Go down
View user profile
burnt fingers

PostSubject: Re: dim bulb testers what wattage bulbs to have on hand   Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:52 am

A Variac is more convenient and often cheaper if you value your time at over $.10 an hour in putting a kluge together. A baby size 2A Variac will handle most radios and modest amps, add another $5 for an AC ampmeter on the Classifieds.

Carl

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Steve Johnson

PostSubject: Re: dim bulb testers what wattage bulbs to have on hand   Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:13 am

burnt fingers wrote:
A Variac is more convenient and often cheaper if you value your time at over $.10 an hour in putting a kluge together. A baby size 2A Variac will handle most radios and modest amps, add another $5 for an AC ampmeter on the Classifieds.

Carl

I still keep a bulb in line after the variac. It's stuck up underneath the bench where it's out of the way and I can still see it. A bulb is cheap protection for current overload.

Here's a photo of the bulb, isolation transformer, and the variac.
Ignore the tube pin straightener in the photo on the right.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.stevenjohnson.com
radiorich

PostSubject: Re: dim bulb testers what wattage bulbs to have on hand   Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:21 pm

Hello Steve,
What great little setup.

Guys I already have a dim bulb tester just don't use it much throu.
mostly use my Sencore powerite but I do still use the tester once in while.

Built mine in High school using a socket for a old sign and a peice of some brown zip cord and some Alligator clips.
But I think it's time to build a better unit using a socket like Steve's.

The Idea you use sounds like a good one to Eric.

Far as the light bulb police goes they can stuff it nobody is taking my light bulbs .
Aleast while I'm living that is .

Rich
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike Toon

PostSubject: Re: dim bulb testers what wattage bulbs to have on hand   Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:08 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
TexMac

PostSubject: Re: dim bulb testers what wattage bulbs to have on hand   Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:37 pm

For what it is worth, here is a dim bulb tester built in a standard Handi-box that uses plug in bulb sockets to switch bulb wattages easily without unscrewing. All the parts came from Lowe's, but any home improvement store should have them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
radiorich

PostSubject: Re: dim bulb testers what wattage bulbs to have on hand   Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:17 pm

Hello Mike,
I like your Idea very clever.

Well tex ,'
If I were to build a new one I have all of the parts on hand plus extra

Rich
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: dim bulb testers what wattage bulbs to have on hand   

Back to top Go down

dim bulb testers what wattage bulbs to have on hand
View previous topic View next topic Back to top