Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

bought a 1920's Crosley "Breadbox"$20

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
47'Plymouth864

PostSubject: bought a 1920's Crosley "Breadbox"$20   Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:15 am

Hi guy's
found,and bought a 20's Crosley Battery"breadbox TRF "table set yesterday for $20 with a
Pathe Speaker..came from a old farm shed;drove down in the Plymouth to Prosperity,South Carolina..to where i got it!
serial number Z-46748?,..it maybe the chassis part ## who knows.its stamped in the chassis frame...it has 6..01-A's..maybe a 00-A for audio out; it had only in 01-A still in the set..the rest of the tubes are missing...anybody got extra tubes for this...also in the process of clean up found it loaded with former mud wasp nests everywhere inside...not no more...the RF.cans are stamped "Copper"
cleaned up real nice polished..so did the front dial plate is copper also....all of the tuning variable condensers frames are cracked,warped..basically no good..weirdest site "I've ever came across"..for those cap frames to be splintered everywhere POTMETAL..go fiqure! Rolling Eyes anybody have good used ones or NIB...also need a label for the underside of the cover lid..love to have a reprint to reapply...I'll get some pics done soon and post them here for a positive ID...I'll research it out on the other links in the early Crosley battery set line up! any one own one of these babies? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chas

Location : S. Dartmouth MA 02748-1225 ------------ Avatar: Uncle Tony's Shack

PostSubject: Re: bought a 1920's Crosley "Breadbox"$20   Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:17 pm

Can you post an image of this 6-tube Crosley? It is rather strange to find a '20's Crosley with six tubes... Crosley was notorious for low tube count sets that were either regenerative or a combination of regenerative and reflex.

FWIW: An '00A could not ever be an audio output. It is a gas detector.

BTW: Check the audio transformers, me thinks your troubles are just beginning... Images of the tuning condensers would be helpful. If potmetal disease has effected the condensers in this radio, it is a safe bet that all condensers of this type will be bad. However, an image with dimensions would help to find usable substitutes.

Chas
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Douglas

PostSubject: Re: bought a 1920's Crosley "Breadbox"$20   Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:31 pm

Bandbox?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
47'Plymouth864

PostSubject: Re: bought a 1920's Crosley "Breadbox"$20   Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:37 pm

Thanks Chas,and Alan;
I've just a made positive I.D. as a model 601..1928 vintage battery"Bandbox" table..sold new for $55.00..listed in the Rider's #1-5 under Crosley
Very Happy now I'll have to post pictures of it asap...as for the junk tuning caps; its sad that the "potmetal
frames" has bitten the dust!...someone long ago installed the wrong tuning shaft drive gear from another radio that doesn't fit..and also found the right Brass strap tuning drive band is broke Sad
I bet another could rounded up to fit the bill...i assume it broke from the tuning caps being stuck
in place,and someone tried to force it to turn...well its pretty much intact except for the 5 tubes
that are missing: I need 4 of the 01-A's,and 1 of the 371's for the 2nd AF..still have as i stated before 1 is still in the set 01-A,..
I tested the filament on that one to still be good! Very Happy
also the 2 little thumb roller knobs are broke off on each side of the main dial knob..wonder if anything be done about that? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: bought a 1920's Crosley "Breadbox"$20   

Back to top Go down

bought a 1920's Crosley "Breadbox"$20
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1