Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

OT - Plumbing Question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
renaissance.man

PostSubject: OT - Plumbing Question   Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:23 pm

I need to temporarily drain my upstairs bathtub into the downstairs laundry tub because of a drain issue. How would I adapt the p trap connection to a connection for a garden hose, so I can drain the bathtub into a downstairs laundry tub.

Ed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Radionut39

PostSubject: Re: OT - Plumbing Question   Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:46 pm

"Calling Dr.Toon..Calling Dr.Toon"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DennisH.

PostSubject: Re: OT - Plumbing Question   Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:56 pm

Spend some time at one of the better plumbing departments looking for fittings. It might take 3-4 pieces to work from the tub drain to the garden hose. Reducers and hose clamps are your friend in something like this. I've never seen anything that would go straight from one to the other but then I've not seen everything yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
frankpe

PostSubject: Re: OT - Plumbing Question   Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:57 pm

If your P trap has a threaded drain fitting at the bottom (of the trap) you may be able to thread in a plastice hose barb fitting and then adapt that to your garden hose.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gary rabbitt

PostSubject: Re: OT - Plumbing Question   Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:20 pm

For a low tech attempt, what about just siphoning the water? Your source is higher than the laundry tub below.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike Toon

PostSubject: Re: OT - Plumbing Question   Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:54 pm

Yea, siphon. Remove the screen on the bottom of the tub if it has one. Put a nozzle on the end of garden hose. Open nozzle and fill the hose, close nozzle and take it downstairs. Stick the other end in the drain (1 inch) then open the nozzle into downstairs toilet or out the window. Should drain everything.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
renaissance.man

PostSubject: Re: OT - Plumbing Question   Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:56 pm

I just went up into the pipes to see what is there.

The tub looks like a standard 1 inch(is 1 inch standard or is it 1.25 inches?) pvc drain pipe. It is cut off and an abs compression adapter is connected to it to adapt a connector for a 1.5 inch trap. So basically, I need to adapt the 1" pvc outlet on the tub drain to something which will accept a 1/2 rubber hose and it needs to be undo-able, in other words, I cannot cement anything into place.

Ed

I really need to make it a workable setup until I can pull a downstairs toilet to access the drain with a snake. So the siphon idea is pretty much not going to do it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
radiotechnician

PostSubject: Re: OT - Plumbing Question   Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:59 pm

Doesn't the trap block vent gasses from coming out the drains? Siphoning sounds good
and your can use A Y hose to a faucet to get it started each time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
renaissance.man

PostSubject: Re: OT - Plumbing Question   Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:09 pm

radiotechnician wrote:
Doesn't the trap block vent gasses from coming out the drains? Siphoning sounds good
and your can use A Y hose to a faucet to get it started each time.

I'd have to drill a hole in the floor to get the hose into the basement, which I really want to avoid. You are correct about the trap blocking sewer gas. But that only blocks the downstream gasses from coming back into the tub drain. I plan on capping the main drain temporarily. Nothing to worry about from the line going to the laundry tub.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RR90

PostSubject: Re: OT - Plumbing Question   Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:35 pm

Quote :
So basically, I need to adapt the 1" pvc outlet on the tub drain to something which will accept a 1/2 rubber hose and it needs to be undo-able, in other words, I cannot cement anything into place.

I know Home Depot and Menards carry 1" to 1/2" rubber reducers along with other various sizes. You slide them over the pvc, then just tighten them down with hose clamps. No cementing needed, and they're removable.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike Toon

PostSubject: Re: OT - Plumbing Question   Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:51 pm

95% of tub drains are 1½"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OT - Plumbing Question   

Back to top Go down

OT - Plumbing Question
View previous topic View next topic Back to top