Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

WTB: Zenith 4B131 or 4V31 oscillator coil - REPAIRED ORIGINAL!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Chuck Braun

PostSubject: WTB: Zenith 4B131 or 4V31 oscillator coil - REPAIRED ORIGINAL!   Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:40 am

Hi,
I've been struggling with mouse-damaged wires on this coil, managed to jerry-rig the coil to work with most of the wire ends off their terminals, osc quits below 670 kc due to my inability to rewind half of the tank winding properly(bad sight and shaky hands). Might anyone have a good replacement osc coil sitting around on a junker 6V31 or 6B131 chassis? I'll pay $30 plus s/h. Thanks. I tried using an AES coil, but it didn't work at all. PTOP and vintage-electronics come up empty for this Zenith coil. It has a tapped tank winding, one end grounded, the tap to cathode by a 9K resistor, the end to the padder. The plate winding is wound on a larger paper tube that slides over the tank windings. Two lugs mount the coil to chassis, one is ground.

Thanks, guys, hope you can help...

Last edited by Chuck Braun on Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:38 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : no longer need item)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Don Cavey

PostSubject: Re: WTB: Zenith 4B131 or 4V31 oscillator coil - REPAIRED ORIGINAL!   Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:45 am

I hope you are successful finding the coil. Wouldn't you like to strangle that darn mouse?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chuck Braun

PostSubject: Re: WTB: Zenith 4B131 or 4V31 oscillator coil - REPAIRED ORIGINAL!   Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:46 am

Well, I removed the whole coil assembly, removed the plate winding and its form, then rewound the rest of the tank winding neatly, avoiding overlap. Then I slipped back the plate coil in place, soldered all loose ends to terminals on the osc coil, rather than to the jumper wires I soldered in previously.

After reinstallation, I got the set warmed up, and I got good reception! I then needed to level the dial scale, but I broke the dial glass in two while removing the retaining ring Evil or Very Mad Oh well, that should be easier to remedy than a dead osc coil... Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Don Cavey

PostSubject: Re: WTB: Zenith 4B131 or 4V31 oscillator coil - REPAIRED ORIGINAL!   Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:30 am

Chuck Braun wrote:
Well, I removed the whole coil assembly, removed the plate winding and its form, then rewound the rest of the tank winding neatly, avoiding overlap. Then I slipped back the plate coil in place, soldered all loose ends to terminals on the osc coil, rather than to the jumper wires I soldered in previously.

After reinstallation, I got the set warmed up, and I got good reception! I then needed to level the dial scale, but I broke the dial glass in two while removing the retaining ring Evil or Very Mad Oh well, that should be easier to remedy than a dead osc coil... Smile

Gee Chuck, "When It Rains, It Pours!" Some day, you will look back on this and have a feeling of accomplishment, real accomplishment. And will still want to strangle that mouse!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WTB: Zenith 4B131 or 4V31 oscillator coil - REPAIRED ORIGINAL!   

Back to top Go down

WTB: Zenith 4B131 or 4V31 oscillator coil - REPAIRED ORIGINAL!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1