Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Sentinel cabinet damage

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kjw

PostSubject: Sentinel cabinet damage   Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:42 pm

I just aquired this radio and it works great. I am sure it needs to be recapped and that will come soon. It does have a few small chips and a crack. Has anyone ever tried to replace a missing ribbed piece of bakelite?? I will take pictures of the spots that need repairing later. Kris

*Edit* I see I am also missing the back cover.

Last edited by kjw on Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:35 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kjw

PostSubject: Re: Sentinel cabinet damage   Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:10 pm

Here are some pictures, I hope I did not post this in the wrong discussion forum but I did not not see a cabinet restoration discussion.

This looks like a pretty complicated fix but ateast they are small areas.

Kris

Back to top Go down
View user profile
kjw

PostSubject: Re: Sentinel cabinet damage   Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:32 pm

I finally figured out how to post the pictures. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johnnysan

PostSubject: Re: Sentinel cabinet damage   Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:15 pm

No, it does not 'needs recapped'............

It NEEDS TO BE RECAPPED!!!!!!

Please edit your post accordingly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kjw

PostSubject: Re: Sentinel cabinet damage   Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:25 pm

The type-o has been fixed. I wrote "I am sure it needs recapped and that will come soon."
I am not sure what the big difference is between that and "I am sure it needs "to be" recapped" Are you an english teacher Johnnysan?

By the way I just purchased some caps and schematic for my Belmont 636. I will be working on that radio next week. I do plan on changing the caps in all of my radios.

Anyway what do you think about the radio?

Thanks for the help in advance. Kris
Back to top Go down
View user profile
glasdave

PostSubject: Re: Sentinel cabinet damage   Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:45 pm

Looks like you have a good one to practice lots of things on.

Good grammar just makes sense, people will listen and enjoy your conversation more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kjw

PostSubject: Re: Sentinel cabinet damage   Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:59 pm

Thanks Dave, I think this cabinet will be a little too difficult for me to work on with my present skills so I will put it up for awhile. I really like this little radio and don't want to mess it up.

I will work on my grammer skills. I have a GED but did not graduate high school. I really try to do the best I can. I honestly type and re-type a post several times before actually posting it and still make mistakes.

When I have a word I can not spell I type it into google and it usually fixes it for me if I am wrong. If I don't know if the spelling should be Too or To I use it in a phrase on google and it corrects me. I know these are bad habits and I probably need to take a grammer class. I apologize if I have offended anyone. Sincerely, Kris Watson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kjw

PostSubject: Re: Sentinel cabinet damage   Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:36 am

This website has some good info about my Sentinel "Treasure Chest" Radio.

http://www.antiqueradio.com/Oct07_Arnold_Sentinel.html

From what I read this model is not that rare and is possible to find on ebay from time to time. Hopefully I will be able to find one cheap for parts.

Kris

Back to top Go down
View user profile
glasdave

PostSubject: Re: Sentinel cabinet damage   Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:07 am

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
megawave

PostSubject: Re: Sentinel cabinet damage   Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:50 am

Hi Kris
PM sent
megawave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jerryhawthorne

PostSubject: Re: Sentinel cabinet damage   Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:35 pm

Kim, your doing well. Don't worry about the comments about spelling. You posted pictures which most of the people can't. Heck, as old as I am I have problems spelling, didn't before but age gets to you. Keep up your interest and the forum will help you a great deal. Some people get a little picky. They are probably old too.
Jerry
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kjw

PostSubject: Re: Sentinel cabinet damage   Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:32 pm

Thank you for the kind words Jerry. I hope to get my caps and schematic in the mail on monday. Then I can start working on my Belmont 636, it will be the first radio I repair. It is a very cool looking radio and I hope I can get it working just as good as when it was sold. I still need to find a push button for it, otherwise cosmetically it is beautiful. Kris
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ggregg

PostSubject: Re: Sentinel cabinet damage   Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:40 pm

Johnnysan wrote:

Just what we need. A grammar Nazi.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
deltysdal

PostSubject: Fix the broken corner   Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:45 pm

You can use an autobody epoxy and make that corner look like new. It comes in a tube and you knead it in your palms. One or two applications to be sure. Put some duct tape
on the inside of the space first to hold it from falling in. Sandpaper it smooth.
But you will need to repaint the entire radio if you choose.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jaycebot

PostSubject: Re: Sentinel cabinet damage   Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:49 pm

ggregg wrote:
Johnnysan wrote:

Just what we need. A grammar Nazi.

I had this annoying guy on another forum who would correct EVERY SINGLE GRAMMATICAL error. He claimed he was the Canadian grammar police.

--weirdo--
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://jaycesradios.jimdo.com
dynadude

PostSubject: Re: Sentinel cabinet damage   Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:15 pm

Hi Kris,

I know you are excited about, and eager to get started on every set you find, and that is natural when you first get into this hobby. You will find with time that you will get much pickier about the projects you spend your time on, and the amount of actual work you are willing to put into certain sets.

That said, it's good to have the skills to repair these cases, but it's also good to know when it's more to your advantage to just replace it with one in better condition. That will free up a lot of your time for more worthy subjects.

When I first got into this, I spent WAY too much time on sets I would hardly take a second glance at now. Not that the sets are not worthy of being saved, it's just that I have learned that some are just more trouble than the end result will justify. A repaired plastic or bakelite case is just that, repaired. It will never have the collector value of one that is original, and probably won't be as satisfying to you either.

In this case, it looks like you would be better off replacing the case. That will result in a much better example in the end, and be a much better use of your time.

We are all different though, and some collectors get the most enjoyment out of bringing back a set from the verge of extinction. The more tedious and mind blowing the repairs needed, the more they like it. Smile

I have a few basket cases waiting for my attention, just because they are examples that speak to me. They are not particularly rare or beautiful, but they show their use in such interesting ways, and I just have to try to save them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kjw

PostSubject: Re: Sentinel cabinet damage   Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:24 pm

deltysdal wrote:
You can use an autobody epoxy and make that corner look like new. It comes in a tube and you knead it in your palms. One or two applications to be sure. Put some duct tape
on the inside of the space first to hold it from falling in. Sandpaper it smooth.
But you will need to repaint the entire radio if you choose.

Thanks deltysdal, If I fix the bakelite will it have to be repainted? And if so, is it possible to get the radio looking really close to original with paint?

Does anyone know if the leather handle on the radio is original? or did the plastic handle come with every model. The leather handle I have seems to be original but is a little worn. I think a plastic handle would make it much more appealing. Should I leave the handle as is?

Jaycebot & Greg, I don't think he meant any harm I probably took more offense to it than I should have. Some people have pet peeves and grammer must be his.

Thanks for the help everyone. Kris

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ggregg

PostSubject: Re: Sentinel cabinet damage   Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:33 pm

I have to agree with Dyna, I walk away from most stuff lately. But, 20 years ago, I bought everything in sight so Kris if you still have to get that "fix" whenever you see an old radio, more power to you. One thing you will find out though, is that there are usually more sets around than you think and the more you look, the more you will find.

That being said, I have come across some stuff you don't find everyday so I have picked up more in the last month than I have in probably a year. You don't come across a DuMont RA-109 in near mint condition, a Seeburg AY-100 in great shape, an AMI C with mostly great plastic (one missing speaker louver), and a 17" Predicta, everyday. I haven't found any radios that turn my crank except a Philco 42-350 that I found today that was practically mint, but at $105, I had to walk away. I already had the Predicta, so my fix was sedated for the time being. I'm probably going to regret that.

Johnnysan has a ton of knowledge and I appreciate his help and posts nearly all of the time. But, I think the comment was uncalled for. One of my faults is that I have a hard time keeping my mouth (hands) shut.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kjw

PostSubject: Re: Sentinel cabinet damage   Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:48 pm

I appreciate the help from everyone and as it is the radio is going to be on a shelf in my room for awhile until I get some caps to recap it. I will worry about the bakelite whenever I get around to recapping it. Maybe by then I will have found another one to switch out parts with. Wish me luck on it. Kris
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave Wise

PostSubject: Re: Sentinel cabinet damage   Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:33 pm

Mine has the leather handle, and I think it looks just fine.

It also has a 117Z3 rectifier tube, and with that no-ventilation cabinet, the set can only be used for about an hour on AC before it overheats. What were they thinking?
I seem to recall that they switched to selenium later.

Dave Wise
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sentinel cabinet damage   

Back to top Go down

Sentinel cabinet damage
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1