Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Weird little radio: Telechron 8H59

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bobwilson1977

PostSubject: Weird little radio: Telechron 8H59   Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:12 pm

I picked up a rather small clock radio a few days ago. Its a 1948 Telechron "Musalarm" clock radio. It makes your typical filter hum thus I'm rebuilding it. There is a large paper electrolytic stuck to the side of the chassis. The chassis is TINY with 4 tubes and all the caps crammed onto a 4x4 square chassis. The large paper cap has no markings at all. From what I can tell in the parts list and schematic its a 40uf,30uF,20uF cap. The schematic is hard to follow so I'm just going to replace them all with 40uF caps and call it a day. Question is... there is like NO room to put them and also I've having a hard time seeing if the cap is grounded to the chassis or whether its a floating ground.

Anyone worked on one of these? Weird radio for sure...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johnnysan

PostSubject: Re: Weird little radio: Telechron 8H59   Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:45 pm

The Musalarm 8H67, which is the only one listed in Sams, is floating ground. It shows only two 50uf caps though, so the filtering is different. I would guess that your model is also floating ground;; it connects the the chassis through a 470k resistor and a .05uf cap in parallel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tubes4life

PostSubject: Re: Weird little radio: Telechron 8H59   Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:08 pm

You have to get to the bottom of the cap can to get to the connections anyways, so just transfer all old connection points to the new caps.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobwilson1977

PostSubject: Re: Weird little radio: Telechron 8H59   Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:47 am

I was looking at it last night. It looks pretty straightforward so I don't think it'll be a problem. Getting all the new caps to fit.... well that will be another challenge.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tubes4life

PostSubject: Re: Weird little radio: Telechron 8H59   Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:52 am

Why not mount a terminal strip to the side of the chassis, and attach them there?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gearhead222

PostSubject: Re: Weird little radio: Telechron 8H59   Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:04 pm

Dear Sir-I have recapped 2 Musalarms and there's SO little room I had to replace all OTHER caps first to create enough room to install the electrolytics. I also had to make pigtails for all of the electrolytics. NOT an easy task, but doable. HTH:)-Gearhead-PS-This radio does have a floating ground and not chassis ground.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobwilson1977

PostSubject: Re: Weird little radio: Telechron 8H59   Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:36 am

Howdy folks,
So I replaced all of the electrolytics in the set last night except for the large canister mounted to the side. I studied the schematic for about an hour the other day and concluded that all of the negative leads of the 3 caps inside the canister were wired to the canister's mounting tab. Thus I assume all I need to do is wire all of the negative leads of the 3 caps I bought together and solder them to whatever leads are soldered to the mounting tab and then have the individual pos leads go to whatever are soldered to the individual leads of the can. Hope that makes sense.

I wound up strapping the 3 new caps together and running a pigtail off the ends. I managed to get it all to fit. Boy- what a mess! Its like brain surgery...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobwilson1977

PostSubject: Re: Weird little radio: Telechron 8H59   Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:55 am

Well... I took a chance and wired in all of the caps last night. I'll have to take some pictures, but the caps are really crammed in there. Anyway, I tried it and it works! yay!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weird little radio: Telechron 8H59   

Back to top Go down

Weird little radio: Telechron 8H59
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1