Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

What would you offer for a Radiola 18+Speaker?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
focalpoint

PostSubject: What would you offer for a Radiola 18+Speaker?   Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:06 pm

A gentleman offered me a Radiola 18 and 100A speaker, but no price attached to the offer. It looks to be in decent shape; all tubes are present but have been replaced (all STs and 1933 test stickers).

"Powers up, all tubes light up but it just hums." Of course.

What do you guys think? I was thinking of offering $80 for the set. It'll be my second 1920s set, a Philco 76 being the other so far. I don't like consoles, though, more for tabletops so I'd probably get rid of the Philco after getting this one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Don Cavey

PostSubject: Re: What would you offer for a Radiola 18+Speaker?   Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:10 pm

If it has the hood over the pilot light and it is original, I would have no problem with that price. And, if the 71 tube is good, maybe so. But I certainly would not go higher than that unless it is in as they say, "Museum Quality". But remember that something is valued at what you think it is worth. Let you gut be your guide...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nuke

PostSubject: Re: What would you offer for a Radiola 18+Speaker?   Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:20 pm

It's hard to tell with no picture. Without a light hood not working, I'd say the Radiola 18 would fetch about 40. The speaker could be anywhere from 25 to 50. If it has busted grill cloth - 25. So anywhere between 65 - 90 would be market price.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
focalpoint

PostSubject: Re: What would you offer for a Radiola 18+Speaker?   Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:23 pm

These are photos:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Don Cavey

PostSubject: Re: What would you offer for a Radiola 18+Speaker?   Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:28 pm

That looks good. $80 would be the upper end of what I would pay but certainly, the important stuff is there. If you want to go back to globe tubes, that will be expensive. But they will not work any better and no one will see them except you.

So, it is back to, "Is it worth $80 to you?" If so, go for it. There isn't much in them to be fixed. The one that I have had an open interstage transformer. I was able to cannibalize from another Radiola 18 and get it going.

Don
Back to top Go down
View user profile
burnt fingers

PostSubject: Re: What would you offer for a Radiola 18+Speaker?   Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:22 am

Mine had the do all bias resistor open as well as most of the tube sockets not making pin contact. That required both cleaning and careful bending.

As mentioned on the "old" ARF it came with a speaker stand, all globe tubes plus a box of more tubes, mostly globes. All for $50 in an antique store down in snooty Sudbury MA. No hood, got that from an ARF member.

Carl
Back to top Go down
View user profile
terrydec

PostSubject: Re: What would you offer for a Radiola 18+Speaker?   Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:29 pm

WOW! I have both of those, although my radio is the Brunswick, Balke, Collander 5KR. And mine needs the hood.

It's the same chassis, but for some reason the power supplies aren't compatible.

Anyway-
I always use eBay for value. I recently sold a speaker just like that for $20. That seems to be average.
A similar radio just sold for $40.
Right now seems to be a bad time to sell on eBay. When prices increase I'm going to list the Brunswick.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stan Ski

PostSubject: Re: What would you offer for a Radiola 18+Speaker?   Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:11 pm

Sold the same set up not to long ago and i remember correctly i got $125.00 for both and it was working and missing the lamp hood as always. Wonder where they all went? I had $100.00 into it and never did any repairs so i was happy
Stan Ski
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What would you offer for a Radiola 18+Speaker?   

Back to top Go down

What would you offer for a Radiola 18+Speaker?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1