Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

SW disabled radio

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dynadude

PostSubject: SW disabled radio   Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:00 am

I'm having my first experience with a SW disabled set, and it had to be a doozie. An RCA 811K.

I guess it could be worse. At least the schematic I have is easy to read.

I can hardly believe all the trouble they went to on this set. Coils disconnected, switches bypassed, and on top of that, a lot of hokey "repairs" from previous owners or bad shops.

All in all though, it's kind of fun, and definitely a good learning experience.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tubes4life

PostSubject: Re: SW disabled radio   Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:51 am

I think the question I'd be asking myself is WHY did they disable the shortwave? Was the malfunction on shortwave somehow affecting the AM band?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
burnt fingers

PostSubject: Re: SW disabled radio   Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:13 am

It was called World War 2 and resident aliens and even naturalized US citizens from the enemy countries were required by law to have no SW capability. Its goes deeper than that but thats the gist of it. Each shop defined "disable" as they wished. Ive even seen parts completely removed or as simple as a snipped wire.

Carl

Back to top Go down
View user profile
tubes4life

PostSubject: Re: SW disabled radio   Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:15 am

burnt fingers wrote:
It was called World War 2 and resident aliens and even naturalized US citizens from the enemy countries were required by law to have no SW capability. Its goes deeper than that but thats the gist of it. Each shop defined "disable" as they wished. Ive even seen parts completely removed or as simple as a snipped wire.

Carl

I've never heard of that; interesting!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DKinYORKpa

PostSubject: Re: SW disabled radio   Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:39 pm

Quote :
I've never heard of that; interesting!

I've heard of it, but I would like a solid source to it. An internet search just turned up a couple of unsourced stories.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tubes4life

PostSubject: Re: SW disabled radio   Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:48 pm

I don't understand how the government would know of how/when people of foreign ancestry were buying radios....furthermore, how would the government know if said people had these sets, and the shortwave wasn't decommisioned?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vacuum tubes tesla coil

PostSubject: Re: SW disabled radio   Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:29 pm

they didn't think it throught......... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
richfair

PostSubject: Re: SW disabled radio   Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:24 pm

It is well known that Japanese Americans were subjected to less than equitable treatments mostly on the west coast, during and after WW2. According to author Jeffrey Roger's Hummel (coped from here: http://www.ihr.org/jhr/v07/v07p285_Hummel.html)

Within seventy-two hours of the attack, the FBI had 3,846 Japanese, German, and Italian immigrants in custody. A grand total of sixteen thousand were seized throughout the war and about four thousand of them were held for the duration. This was done under authority of the old Alien Enemies Act, which permitted alien internment during wartime. It was one of the four notorious Alien and Sedition Acts passed by the Federalists in 1798, and the only one of the four that President Jefferson had left on the books.

The "enemy" aliens who were parched or who remained at large suffered numerous other infringements of their liberty. The national government forced more than ten thousand to leave their homes near defense installations, and it imposed rigid curfews upon others. They all needed permission to travel or move and could not possess firearms or short-wave radios. The Justice Department's only leniencies were to exempt Italian aliens from these restrictions after Columbus Day, 1942, and west coast Germans two months later.

There is a lot of retelling of Italian American targeting during and after WW2, but I would imagine the focus was broader than just Italian heritages. This is another Italian American story found here:
http://hcom.csumb.edu/segreta/personal_stories.html

" A Gary Fire Department truck parked in front of our home. Two firemen came, one with a list of names and addresses in hand. This was the residence of Peter Brogno? Yes. They had orders to search the house for shortwave radios, for guns and other non-specified items. They searched the entire house from basement to second floor, as well as the small storage shanty in the side yard. They took the radio. They took my Papa's automatic revolver.

She goes on to say:

I believe it was three or four weeks later that the fire department came back to return the radio and the prized revolver. The firemen who returned the radio said nothing--not a thing--about what happened or why it happened. They came and went just as they had when they took away the radio and gun. In the first encounter they presented no court orders, no explanations. They left no signed receipts for what they took. They came only with a list of Italian American names and addresses, period. They gave no apologies when they came to search and no apologies when they returned the items."

In the Congressional record of Nov 10, 1999, Senator Henry Hyde speaks of Italian Americans, as a group, who were subjected to such restrictions.

Honestly, I am not quite old enough to have seen it with my eyes, but it seems very plausible. I would not be surprised to see it is by and large true.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dynadude

PostSubject: Re: SW disabled radio   Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:02 pm

I can't think of any other reason for someone to go to this much trouble disabling the SW capability of this set. It's not like a wire was cut. Many different parts of coils and switches were bypassed or completely disconnected. None of the work was needed to get around a bad part, it was done purely to circumvent the parts.

The average person would have been lost trying to repair it at that time. There were so many changes made, and there was little ready resource for the info needed to restore it. Not like we have now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SW disabled radio   

Back to top Go down

SW disabled radio
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1