Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Running AC Motor < Operating Voltage

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
gvel

PostSubject: Running AC Motor < Operating Voltage   Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:55 am

I need to slow down an AC motor, and it's been suggested that I connect it to a variac. It's a 120V motor and gets very little use. Loads are very small too. From what I understand, the motor has to be operated at at 11VAC, to "slow it down". Rolling Eyes

Anyway, what consequences would there be, if any, to run it under these conditions?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pixellany

PostSubject: Re: Running AC Motor < Operating Voltage   Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:36 am

It depends on the type of motor. For example, and inductive motor is designed to run at a speed just shy of the "synchronous speed"---eg something like 1780 RPM**. If you reduce the voltage, I think it will just stop running.

To control the motor speed with a variac, I think you need something called a "universal" motor. This will have brushes.

Theory aside---try it. As long as it doesn't overheat, it should be OK

**or some multiple thereof. (the synchronous speed is typically something like 1800, 3600, etc.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
richfair

PostSubject: Re: Running AC Motor < Operating Voltage   Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:49 am

If there is a decent load on an induction motor, such as a fan, you can easily control the speed with a variac or a solid state controller (like a light dimmer, but one rated for motor use). Your problem is that the load is tiny. An induction motor with no load will tend to run near synchronous speed all the time until the voltage is lowered so much that bearing resistance and electrical losses overcome the weakened torque, which slows it down, but since the load is so low, the motor is already close to stalling and makes it hard to control.

As said, just try it. With a small load, I highly doubt there will be any heating problem at all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
radiotechnician

PostSubject: Re: Running AC Motor < Operating Voltage   Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:05 am

From electricians point of view,

There are many types of AC motors. Some things in general. Overheating motors cause fires-everywhere. Loaded induction motors will draw a higher current, (run hotter) if the voltage is reduced. At breakdown torque they may stall and the current will rise greatly
which could damage a Variac.

de
VE7ASO
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Douglas

PostSubject: Re: Running AC Motor < Operating Voltage   Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:20 am

Depends entirely on the type of motor and load.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pred

PostSubject: Re: Running AC Motor < Operating Voltage   Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:03 pm

What's the application?
Why do you need to slow it down?
This is important since there are other ways some times.
For our big motors we use a VFD and reduce the HZ.
Peter
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gvel

PostSubject: Re: Running AC Motor < Operating Voltage   Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:12 am

Sorry about the delayed response and thanks for everyone's input.

I'm done with the testing for now, and I used the variac as suggested by coworkers.

I can't tell you what kind of motor it is, since I never investigated! Rolling Eyes

Anyway, what I'm doing is referred to as a "bead pull". In short, it measures the electric field within an RF cavity. The motor is connected to fish line, and on the end there is a small weight, 2 or 3 ounces, just to keep the line straight. The motor needed to be slowed down to correspond to settings on the network analyzer. It only runs for about 20 seconds with reduced voltage, and it's fused.

Tomorrow, I'll see if there is any info on this motor. The set-up now, even though it works, is rather crude! There is another system at hand, using a stepper motor and Labview, but, according to some, it is not accurate? I'll look into that too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Douglas

PostSubject: Re: Running AC Motor < Operating Voltage   Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:15 am

Probably a small shaded-pole motor with a gear reduction? If so, you can go down to 70 volts and about half speed before the motor stops, and it won't hurt anything.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
radiotechnician

PostSubject: Re: Running AC Motor < Operating Voltage   Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:59 pm

I would have salvaged a paper chart drive motor for this. If your network analyser
was like the Bruel and Kjaer stuff, you could of positioned the bead with a flexible shaft
stuck in to it.

de

VE7ASO
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Running AC Motor < Operating Voltage   

Back to top Go down

Running AC Motor < Operating Voltage
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1